Activities taking place at the Ellwood City Area Public Library include the following:
Monday, August 20, at 1:30 p.m. — Afternoon Book Discussion for adults. The group will discuss the book, “Love and Summer,” by William Trevor. More information is available by calling the library at 724-758-6458.
Wednesday, August 22, at 6:30 p.m. — The “Friends of the Library” will meet to discuss the upcoming Storytelling Festival scheduled for September 15 in Ewing Park. The “Friends” provide the concession for the event, and plans for the day, as well as other activities, will be the topics of discussion at this meeting. New members of the “Friends” group are always welcome, and those interested may either call the library for more information or just attend the meeting.
Creative Writing for Adults, a newly formed group that meets monthly, will gather on Tuesday, August 28, at 6:00 p.m. Members gather to share their work and discuss writing techniques. More information about this program is available by calling the library.
The library will host its annual, week-long book sale from October 1-6 this year, and donations of books are now being accepted. Donations may be dropped off at the library during normal business hours. The library will NOT ACCEPT textbooks of any sort, encyclopedias, magazines or Readers’ Digest Condensed books. All other books — fiction and non-fiction, adult and children’s, — are welcome. Call the library for more information.
On Tap for September are the annual “Story Telling Festival” in Ewing Park, planned for Saturday, September 16th, and the second annual “Library Vendor Fair” fundraiser with a special featured luncheon on Sunday, September 23th. Mark your calendars now!
The library is now offering e-books which can be downloaded free of charge onto various e-readers, including the Kindle, the Nook, the IPad and more. Go to our website at www.ellwoodcitylibrary.com and follow the “e-book” link. Those participating must have a card from the Ellwood City Library. Call the library for more information.
The following memorials and “in honor of” contributions were received by the library during the months of April and May. All memorials received will be listed in this column each week throughout the month. Those interested in contributing to the memorials program may do so in person at the library, through the mail or by visiting the library’s website at www.ellwoodcitylibrary.com
In memory of Lois J. Valvano from Gene and Karolina Gaul.
- In memory of Lois M. Vesco from the Ellwood City Municipal Woman’s Club.
- In memory of Jason Wahl from Bonnie McConahy.
- In memory of Anna K. Worrell from the Ellwood City Women’s Club; the “500 Card Club;” and the McElwain famlies.
- In memory of Dorothy Wulff from Bonnie McConahy.
- In memory of Charles J. Altsman Sr. from Kathy and Larry Brown, and from the McConahy family.
- In memory of Janice Evans Barensfeld from the Rotary Club of Ellwood City, and from Frank and Roberta Matsukas.
- In memory of Dorothy L. “Dode” Bintrim from Kathy and Larry Brown.
- In memory of Eugene Carsele from the Hungarian Home.
- In memory of Anna Cavallaro from Mr. and Mrs. Christy Spoa, and from the Samuel Teolis Funeral Home Inc.
- In memory of Frances Coulter from Betty Fontana and family.